From the Principal: End of the School Year Letter – 2016-2017 (CLICK BELOW)
Beginning of the 2016-2017 School Year
Welcome to the St. Bernard Catholic School website! It is here that we intend to share our goals, calendar, news and program information with current and prospective families.
Here are some of our biggest initiatives this school year:
- Some of our teachers have done some research into flexible seating and are convinced that it can positively influence the culture of their classrooms. For an explanation of flexible seating, click here. To see flexible seating in action at SBS:
- First, second, and fifth grade has a new science curriculum called Project Lead the Way: Launch. Project Lead the Way or PLTW inspires students to be designers and innovators. Students become involved in hands on activities in computer science, engineering, and biomedical science. Fifth graders have been involved in PLTW since the beginning of the school year. First and second graders will begin their modules in December.
- GRACE has expanded the chromebook initiative to include fourth and fifth graders. Since we have multi-age third-fourth grade classrooms at St. Bernard School, our third graders are included in the initiative. All third, fourth, and fifth grade students received their own email account and a chromebook to use while in school.
- GRACE has initiated a tablet program for grades k, one and two. All primary classrooms will receive Lenovo TAB3 8 tablets at a 2:1 ratio. This is set to roll out in early December.
- The SAC is expanding the Recruitment and Retention committee to include Marketing. There will once again be a renewed emphasis on all three areas in the year to come.
- The Mission and Philosophy statement has been reviewed and rewritten this year to reflect our new logo.
- “St. Bernard Catholic School is rooted in the life and works of Jesus Christ and our patron saint, providing a peaceful, prayerful community while inspiring each student to become a lifelong learner.”
- Our VEX program is in its second year as a club. Fifth and sixth graders are practicing every week and will be participating in several competitions throughout the year.
- The faith formation of our students is always first and foremost, and this year, once again, our teachers are putting emphasis on integrating the faith through the curriculum.
Thank you to all of our current families for your ongoing support of our Catholic School. St. Bernard is a particularly special place because of its emphasis on the importance of community. This extends through the entire community with teachers, students and families. We believe in an innovative, faith-based education with equal access to student services. This approach enables us to provide an academically competitive, compelling and faith-filled environment for all of our students. With St. Bernard of Clarivaux as our guide, we stand together in this motto:
- PEACE *PRAY*LEARN.
Sincerely in Christ,
Mrs. Crystal R. Blahnik,
Principal, St. Bernard Catholic School